Thursday, April 19, 2007

Gareth’s Course in Wed Development: Text Books

I mentioned in the previous post that I was treating this endeavour as a course. I think that this is the best way to get into the correct frame of mind and it also provides me with structure to my learning.

In taking this approach I have sourced some books that I feel will help me. Let’s call them my text books. In the past I have dabbled with online tutorials and have found some degree of success with them. But for this to work I need something that has a start, middle and end and as such I think books are the way to go.

In sourcing these books I posted a request on the .net forum for information regarding the best books for the various areas that I wanted to focus upon. Typically enough many posters responded with links to web sites focusing on one of my four targeted areas. However due to the approach I have taken I have decided not to use these links but have instead bookmarked them for future reference.

Some posters did get back with valid suggestions which I cross-checked with the ever ‘reliable’ reviews at Amazon. Using the usual take-with-a-grain-of-salt attitude one must apply to Amazon reviews I have compiled my list of text books for this semester:

Accessibility \ CSS

I have decided to bundle these two together as the CSS books I have focus on creating accessible web sites.

CSS Mastery by Andy Budd

Beginning CSS: Web Development: From Novice to Professional

Php & MySQL

How to do Everything with PHP & MySql

Practical PHP & MySQL: Building Eight Dynamic Web Applications

Javascript

DOM Scripting

****

Well that's it for this post. It's a shorty but for me it's the next step in moving toward my goals. From this point on I should be posting on my progress and might even have some samples online for your viewing pleasure.

No comments: